Meet the Team: Paula Miller
For this month's "Meet the Team", we have our Chief Administrative Officer, Paula Miller.
- Describe your job/ role only using 3 words.
- Back room processes
- How did you start your working career and what led you to this career?
- I originally had a degree in recreation administration and worked for a municipal recreation department for a year but decided it wasn’t my permanent direction so decided on an MBA; accounting just made sense to me right from the start. My first job after grad school was with Procter and Gamble.
- Who has influenced you the most when it comes to how you approach your work now?
- I have been lucky to have several really great bosses in the course of my career and have learned from each of them. Surprisingly it’s the least favorite “superiors” that have taught me the most. Knowing what not to do and how not to act is very valuable.
- When you were a kid, what did you want to be when you grew up?
- I certainly did not have dreams of being an accountant. Two things I remember being fascinated with were archeology and geology.
- What is a favorite quote of yours?
- “Life is difficult. This is a great truth….once it is accepted, the fact that life is difficult no longer matters” M Scott Peck.
- What's your idea of a perfect day (it could be at work or outside of work)?
- My favorite activity is skiing so I would have to say a day of skiing in the mountains with new snow and blue skies – followed by a wonderful dinner with my family.
- What is your favorite season and why?
- Summer because I go to our cottage on Little Redstone Lake in Ontario Canada
- What’s something you’re planning on doing in the next year that you’ve never done?
- If international travel opens up again I plan to go trekking in New Zealand with my best friend Wendy.
- What’s the best advice you’ve ever heard?
- The most important decision you will ever make is choosing your life partner, do it carefully. I think I accomplished that.